Friday, October 24, 2008

It won't be the last time...

I had a baby appointment this afternoon. A lovely, quick, just-what-the-midwife-ordered appointment. Kevin came along for the experience, which was fun for me. I told him about the big light placed strategically at the end of the examination table, and the reason why there's something that says "Caution: Hot" underneath the green padding of the table. After waiting for our midwife for a good 10-15 minutes, he got fidgety so I engaged him in a few rounds of "Rock, paper, scissors" and thumb wars. That seemed to take his mind off the long wait.

Highlights of my appointment:
*I've gained 5 pounds since my last appointment, which is right on target. You're supposed to gain 1 lb per week. This makes a grand total of 7 lbs since my pre-pregnancy weight. This also puts me tied with my heaviest weight ever. I will soon break that record. Next week, apparently.
*My belly is where it should be in terms of size, which is reassuring. I was beginning to think I was the size of a house.
*We heard Raina's heartbeat twice--once with the nurse, and once with the midwife. Her heart rate was 160 bpm this time. Both times she was kicking and moving around, which is exciting. It won't be long before I can feel her tumbling around in there. Then it won't be long before I'll wish she weren't. They found her hiding much higher up in my belly than I expected--probably about 2-3 inches below my belly button!

And now to address the title of this post. My allergies are at an all-time high right now. The nurse said they're worse when you're pregnant. As I was typing about entertaining Kev above, I sneezed and peed my pants a little. I didn't even think I needed to use the bathroom. I'm just glad it happened at home and not at school or somewhere else. I'm sure this is only the beginning of the joys that lie ahead.

3 comments:

stephie said...

LOL!!! Thanks for sharing your honesty. I don't get the green pad under the table...I haven't figured that one out yet? See you soon Mommy!

AJ said...

You know...the drawer where they keep the speculums ::shutter::

AJ said...

and by shutter I mean shudder.