Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lettin' it all hang out

This message is brought to you by the word Hallelujah!

I told my principal the big news today. At first I caught a glimpse of "oh shit" on her face, but after a few seconds of chortling on her part and silence on mine, I said, "surprise!" (there we go again with me not knowing what to do in moments of awkwardness) and she replied back that she's not surprised. This is the way things happen in a school. One person has her baby (that co-worker I mentioned last week is due tomorrow) the same time another announces her pregnancy. So basically she was thinking all along, "Who could be next?" 'Tis I. 'Tis I.

And before I told the principal, two other events occurred.
1. A co-worker came up to me and said that she heard some good news was happening in April. Apparently at the aforementioned co-worker's baby shower last week, the wine got to flowing and the word slipped out. I hate to speculate which of my wine-loving friends spilled the beans, but it's only obvious. You know who you are. But don't worry...I'm not mad. It was a great secret and you kept it for such a long time.

2. I told my team of fellow 4th grade teachers. None of them had a clue. HA! I'm such a great secret-keeper.

It feels so good to not have to hide my belly anymore behind zip-up hoodies or fleece vests.

I'm not sure when the rest of the school will find out, but I'm sure word will spread to most by the end of the week. If not, I think we have a staff meeting either tomorrow or next Wednesday, so I'll tell those who don't know then.

2 comments:

Jen N. said...

Yay! That must be a HUGE relief. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have to keep such a happy thing a secret for so long.

I suppose it's too early, but have you decided if you'll be going back to work after Rain(a) is born? :)

leah @maritalbless said...

Oh I will say hallelujah with you! What a great relief! I love that your team had no clue, but that your principal was just waiting for someone to say something! hah!