Wednesday, March 11, 2009

34 weeks: Cantaloupes, names and minor freak-outs

34 weeks! Are you kidding me?!?! Raina now weighs the size of an average cantaloupe. She weighs about 4.75 pounds and is almost 18 inches long. We're talking life-sized babies here, people. Of course her main development these days is still packing on the fat layers and smoothing out her skin. Her lungs continue to mature, which is good because babies born between 34 and 37 weeks with no other health problems generally do fine. Perhaps she'd need a short stay in the NICU, but then she'd be good to go with no long-term problems. Her gums now have ridges which may look like teeth. Her gastrointestinal system is very immature and will actually not mature until she's three or four years old. In the meantime, she's eliminating her nutrition through the umbilical cord. It's interesting that she receives food and eliminates it through the umbilical cord. I sure hope things aren't mixing around in there, or I'd feel kind of bad.

I've been asked if we have names picked out. At first, our plan was to have a short list of both boy and girl names to choose from once we see our little bundle. Turns out we picked 'em already. Barring on the chance that our baby looks nothing like the name, it'll be the name we've chosen. Names are a big deal. I hope we don't scar him or her for life. That being said, we didn't make up the names, and there are no extraneous Ys in them. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Yesterday a co-worker (who had a baby in October) asked me if we had the car seat installed yet. WHAT?!? We should have it installed now? We don't even have one yet! That kind of made me freak out a little. But if "worse comes to worse," Target is close enough to the hospital to pick one up. Right?!?

Another co-worker (who had a baby last May) and I were talking about the fact that she went on bed rest about a year ago when she was at about 28 weeks. She had her baby at 36 weeks. She said, "Just think. You could have a baby in 2 weeks like I did." I thought my knees were going to buckle from under me. I don't have 2 weeks left, I have 6! 

Yet another co-worker said, "You're going to go late. You are." As if she's psychic or something. I honestly think this is true, though. My water is going to break in one big gush while I'm at school, and it'll be May. This is the most likely of scenarios. I kid, I think. I hope.

STOP FREAKIN' ME OUT PEOPLE!

One more thing. I had the most delicious of dreams last night. I dreamt I was eating strawberries from one of those Edible Arrangements. They were so good. Never mind the most random of parties going on around me (I think one of the characters was Ron from "The Biggest Loser" who wanted to meet a long lost love whom was also there).

No comments: