Saturday, March 28, 2009

Midwife Appointment

At yesterday's first once-weekly appointment, the following stats were "achieved:"
Weight: Up another 4 lbs. That's 12 lbs in 6 weeks. 28 lbs total. I swear, this week's 4 lbs was not cupcake-induced. I believe the weight has been distributed in the form of water in my now apparent cankles. I've always had slender, nice-looking feet. That is, until about a week ago. I bought a pretty pink new water bottle at Target yesterday hoping it will motivate me to drink more water and make the swelling go down. I'm also thinking about getting a pedicure in the hopes of reducing the fatness.
BP: 92/60. Good thing it's low so my midwife doesn't start worrying about pre-eclampsia.
Belly measurement: on track. Which perhaps proves the water-weight theory.
Baby's heartbeat: ??? I wasn't told, and forgot to ask. It's becoming so routine now. You don't ask what your bpm is when the nurse takes your pulse at appointments.
Baby's position: ??? Head down, I'm guessing. I wasn't told otherwise.
Cervix: First of many checks in my new future. Soft and closed. This is where I'm expected to be at 36 weeks.

My midwife sort of crushed my dreams of having a water birth. Her water birth success rate for first-time moms is 20%. Long story short, the conditions in order to have a water birth have to be absolutely perfect, and I can't expect those conditions to actually be perfect. Obviously--I'm a realist. So if they are, great. If they aren't, baby will be born "on land." Either way, I get a baby out of the deal so I can't stomp my feet about it. And really, I think when D-Day comes, of course I'm going to hope for a water birth, but will I really care? I'll just want it out.

Today I'm headed across the border to a shower thrown by my very wonderful friends. I am excited to see them, their moms, and other friends who will be there. I will update about the shower and its antics later this weekend, as tomorrow I'm re-crossing the border and going to Leah's shower.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I love that you're using a midwife. I've been considering using one when we get pregnant, so it's great to read about someone who is! :)

AJ said...

C--I love my midwife. She is fabulous :) You should definitely consider using one. Mine actually works at the hospital, and I went to her for appointments before baby came along.