Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring Break 2008 vs 2009

In honor of having Spring Break this week (yay!), I'd like to show you what a difference a year makes.

On March 16, 2008 we boarded a plane to catch some rays and relaxation at Sandals Montego Bay in Jamaica. We considered it our honeymoon, and it was a fabulous time. Going on a tropical vacation by ourselves before having a baby was definitely on our to-do list. We are probably still paying for the trip, but it was well worth it.
We relaxed on the beach,  took the paddleboats for a spin,












played beach chess (this apparently is
the only type of chess that I can beat Kevin),

          went ziplining through                    the rainforest,-->







rode ATVs in the Blue Mountains (which was AWESOME. We were the only ones in our "group," so we got to go fast and got some extra-special attention),






saw the Easter Bunny (we left on Easter Sunday),


ate some great food (this was at the Japanese
hibachi-style restaurant Tokyo Joe's), and





enjoyed spectacular sunsets.


We also got massages, drank many Jamaican Smiles drinks, had fun at the beach party, played pool, people-watched, climbed Dunns River Falls, experienced a bit of Jamaican culture, witnessed (without trying to witness) many weddings in the gazebo right outside of our room, and much much more that I don't necessarily have pictures of. We left feeling refreshed, and dreading the cold weather back home.








March 16, 2009 We spent much of the past weekend attending our Childbirth Education class. While much of the information we learned could be obtained by watching Discovery Health and TLC baby shows, it was very informational. Especially for Kevin who doesn't watch baby shows as avidly as I do.

We learned about labor, breathing techniques, delivery, got a tour of the women's center where it all takes place, shared our dreams and fears (the teacher crushed the "quick and painless dreams all of us had, and alleviated many of the fears, such as giving birth at work), and talked to an OB doctor and a pediatrician that practice at the hospital.

During the eye-opening post-partum segment of class (this is the part of having a baby nobody talks about), I got my first look at what I had only heard about from other women who had given birth before. Imagine this: one size fits all mesh underwear, lined with a ginormous (and I mean GINORMOUS), and what can only be classified as a diaper, then an ice pack, and then some witch hazel. I'm not sure how that all stays up. It looks pretty heavy. I'm sure it feels just lovely though.


Quite the difference a year makes, eh? Although I am quite jealous of my co-workers who are soaking up the sun, I wouldn't trade where I am.

1 comment:

leah @maritalbless said...

Nor would I. For you or me. I'm confused about my point too. Don't worry.