Wednesday, March 25, 2009

36 weeks: Crenshaw Melon

One more month to go! EEEE!!! Raina weighs in at about 6 pounds and measures about 19 inches this week, which is the size of a crenshaw melon. I know you've all eaten a crenshaw melon before, so I don't need to post a picture. Or not. Here you go:
Raina's body is round and plump as new fat stores are made to keep her body temperature a teeny bit warmer than mine. That teeny bit of warmth for her goes a LONG way for me. I feel like I'm roasting out of my britches these days. Now I can see why being 9 months pregnant in July or August is not fun. And I also understand the term "bun in the oven." Anyway, Raina apparently turns toward light sources, which is known as the orienting response. Her bones are flexible, but getting harder. At birth, her tibia will usually be completely ossified into bone. She's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body, as well as the vernix caseosa. She's swallowing that gunk, which means her intestines are accumulating a considerable amount of meconium.

Belly pics this week:
Today I had a math curriculum meeting in the morning. I was at the elementary school hanging out until I had to leave to go to the district office at about 8:00. My sub was obviously in my place, and she had taken my students to gym, which is by the art room. I got back to school at about 11:30, and the teacher who teaches across from me asked where I had been. I told her I was at the math curriculum meeting, and she was relieved. And apparently, people (namely, the art teacher) were worried about me since I wasn't there! Too funny. As much as my class is a handful sometimes and I'm going to really appreciate my time off during maternity leave, it was nice to come back to a good report from the sub and a few smiles and "I missed yous" from some of the kids. I had a great (half) day with my class, so I'm going to keep talking about them. In science, we're studying electricity. I gave them a battery, a wire, some tape, and a light bulb, and without any instruction, challenged them to light the bulb. That wasn't working, so I gave them another wire, and they got their bulbs to light. Then I challenged them to make two bulbs light. When they got the two bulbs lit, they asked for more wire and more bulbs, and some of the partnerships joined other partnerships to make all of the bulbs light up. It takes a very interesting lesson to keep them all engaged. I think they all LOVED this experiment. I just let them investigate on their own for a good 40 minutes, without any behavior/teamwork problems. I have never before seen them so engaged in anything like they were with this. I'm so excited to do more electricity experiments, and usually I dread them. Now let's hope I didn't jinx it!

1 comment:

stephie said...

Love the belly...can't wait to see you this weekend! It will be great fun! Love ya.