Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bettercream shmettercream and other food

It's no secret 'round these parts that I currently have a deep love for chocolate cupcakes. This is definitely a craving, because there has only been one other time in my life when I've craved chocolate cake. That was when I was traveling around Europe for 3 weeks and hadn't seen hide nor hair of chocolate cake, and it's the one thing I really wanted when I got back. Despite my mom wondering what in the world had gotten into me, because I was normally a marble cake girl, she appeased my craving. My parents, brother, Grandma, and my friend Brooke came to the airport to pick me up with a pack of chocolate cupcakes. Bless them.

Fast forward to 11 years later. All this girl wants is chocolate cake. I've made 2 Betty Crocker "chocolate snack cakes" from scratch in the past few months. I always have all the ingredients here to make it. Last night, I just had to give in to my chocolate cake craving again. I really wanted a chocolate cupcake with awesome, sugary, superfantastic, vanilla frosting. I went to the grocery store and made my purchase carefully. I chose some festive St. Patty's day shamrock-sprinkled cupcakes. There was no sticker proclaiming the frosting to be "bettercream," so I thought I was in the clear. Sure enough, I get home and it's frickin' (pardon my fake swearing...I was and still am very upset) bettercream! There was foot-stomping, I won't lie. What the heck happened to regular, sugary, teeth-rotting frosting? Grrrr.

My craving was NOT satisfied, and now with every cupcake I ever consider buying during this pregnancy, if there's not a sticker on the box, I will be asking the baker what kind of frosting adorns the cake. You know what? I'm asking after this pregnancy too, because I HATE bettercream. It should be called worsecream. Or nastycream.

Oh but oranges...these don't ever do me any wrong. They're always fantastic :) I eat about an orange per day. The lunch ladies at school know about my love for oranges, and served me up a bowl of "orange smiles" left over from yesterday's lunch. All I needed was a fork and a carton of milk, and they gave me a little treat. Awesome.

Also...strawberries. Green Giant apparently grows them now, and they are flippin' fantastic. I've gone through a few containers of these in the past few weeks now too. Helloooo summer! I am ready for you!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I have a 5 minute chocolate cake recipe I should send you. You make it in a mug in the microwave.